Cooks notes: a take on the infamous howlin rays chicken burger. Using chicken thighs gives really juicy tender meat.
Equipment: large saucepan
1. Mix the buttermilk and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Add the chicken thighs to this and leave in the fridge to marinate for at least two hours or overnight.
2. Mix together the flour, cornflour and garlic in a wide dish, season.
3. Heat the frying oil in a large, wide saucepan over a medium heat. To reach 160°C.
4. Add half the flour mix to a separate dish then whisk in the beer to one of these until smooth. Dip the chicken thighs into the flour mix and dredge to coat in flour. Then immediately into the beer batter.
5. Gently add the chicken to this and fry for 6-8 minutes until golden and cooked through. Remove onto a tray lined with kitchen paper using a slotted spoon or tongs and immediately top with the cheese.
6. To make the slaw, mix together the mayonnaise with a squeeze of lemon juice and the garlic. Toss through the lettuce and gherkins.
7. Mix the mayonnaise and american mustard together in a small bowl.
8. To serve, spread the mustard mayonnaise on the base bun, followed by the tomato, top with the chicken, a generous amount of slaw and the top bun. Serve with some crispy fries if you like.