|2 large large||Sweet Potato Sweet Potato|
|50 g g||Red Lentils Red Lentils|
|100 g g||Cheddar Cheddar|
|mature, finely grated|
|100 g g||Walnuts Walnut|
|1 handfuls handful||Parsley Parsley|
|320 g g||Puff Pastry Puff Pastry|
|1 pieces piece||Egg Yolks Egg Yolk|
|Tomato Ketchup Tomato Ketchup|
Easy Vegetarian Nut Roast Sausage Rolls
Cooks notes: almost better than the non-veggie versions. They are packed with flavour and the mature cheddar adds a sharpness and nice crust to the top of the pastry. Serve with your favourite ketchup or brown sauce
Equipment: baking tray
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
- Arrange the sweet potato on a roasting tray or put straight onto a shelf in the oven to bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Cook the red lentils according to packet instructions and set aside to cool a little.
- Tip the lentils into a large mixing bowl, stir through the cooked sweet potato, mashing with the back of a fork or spoon to break up, you don’t want this super smooth though. Then stir through half the cheddar along with the walnuts and parsley.
- Unroll the puff pastry sheet onto a large chopping board. Cut in half lengthways. Brush the edges of each sheet with egg. Divide the filling in half. Shape into a sausage shape the length of the pastry and arrange on one edge of the pastry sheet. Having the longer length of the pastry closest to you, roll away from you to seal the filling inside the pastry. Repeat with the other piece and remaining mix.
- Brush the outside of each roll with the remaining egg. Sprinkle with the remaining cheddar. Cut each roll in half and then each half into 4 pieces to give you 16 pieces in total. Arrange on a large baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- 7. Place in the preheated oven for 15 minutes until golden and crispy. Serve with a sprinkle of sea salt and tomato ketchup.